I know tomato soup isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
In fact, I was one of those nay-sayers when I was younger….tomato soup??? EW.
But as I’ve grown older, I’ve learned that tomato soup can be so…SO much better than the tomato soup that came out of a can.
In fact, tomato soup can be downright delicious…especially if it’s roasted tomato soup like this recipe!
I’ll be upfront and say that there is still a can involved in this recipe…but it’s the tomatoes themselves!
This roasted tomato soup is a bit different from others in that, instead of using fresh tomatoes, it uses canned tomatoes that have already been cooked and peeled.
A major thing is the skin. I tried the whole roasting fresh tomatoes thing and blending it all in the blender.
The problem was that the soup wasn’t as creamy or smooth as I had hoped it would be. No matter how much I ran it through the blender, there were still bits of skin in the soup that would literally disrupt the eating experience.
And I didn’t want to skin the tomatoes myself because that adds one more level of difficulty to the recipe that I didn’t want.
Another reason for using canned tomatoes is that they are available at any time of the year, and they were most likely picked and canned at their peak. So you’re getting good tomatoes!
The tomatoes are slow roasted with some garlic. Then they’re cooked together with some chicken broth, milk, and sautéed onions and carrots…the carrots giving the soup some natural sweetness that, I think, only benefits the soup.
The final step is using a stick blender or stand blender to combine all those ingredients into creamy goodness!
This recipe can also easily be made completely vegan and dairy-free, simply by replacing the chicken broth and milk with vegetable broth. You won’t lose out on any creaminess!
Alternatively, you can even replace the milk with coconut milk…then you’d have a really nice subtle coconut undertone to your tomato soup…yum!
Serve this roasted tomato soup with crispy toasted bread, grilled cheese sandwiches, or a simple salad. It is sure to hit the spot on a chilly day or if you just want a really simple meal.
I know not everyone will get on the tomato soup bandwagon, but this creamy roasted tomato soup might be just the one you are willing to give a try!
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
- 4 14 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes (400g each can)
- 6 whole garlic cloves, skins removed
- 4 tbs light olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 1/2 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat oven 375 deg F.
- Drain canned tomatoes through a fine strainer.
- Cut tomatoes in half and lay on a baking sheet with garlic cloves.
- Drizzle light olive oil over tomatoes and garlic. Season with sea salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Roast for 1 hour.
When ready to cook soup:
- In a medium pot, heat 1 tbs light olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and carrots until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes and garlic to the pot and mix, breaking up tomato chunks with a spoon or spatula.
- Add chicken broth to the pot and stir.
- Add milk to the pot and stir. Heat through.
- Using either an immersion blender, or by transferring the soup to a stand blender, process the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If soup is too tart, sweeten with a bit of honey or sweetener of your choice.
- Replace the chicken broth and milk with vegetable broth for a vegan version of the soup.
- Replace the milk with equal parts chicken or vegetable broth to make it dairy-free.
If you make this dish and want to share your photo on Facebook or Instagram, be sure to tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: