Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
This Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is delicious and hearty and pairs perfect with a salad or grilled cheese sandwich. Can easily be made vegan and dairy-free!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Roasting time 1 hour
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 4 14 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes (400g each can)
- 6 whole garlic cloves, skins removed
- 4 tbs light olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 1/2 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
Preheat oven 375 deg F.
Drain canned tomatoes through a fine strainer.
Cut tomatoes in half and lay on a baking sheet with garlic cloves.
Drizzle light olive oil over tomatoes and garlic. Season with sea salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Roast for 1 hour.
When ready to cook soup:
In a medium pot, heat 1 tbs light olive oil over medium heat.
Cook onion and carrots until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add roasted tomatoes and garlic to the pot and mix, breaking up tomato chunks with a spoon or spatula.
Add chicken broth to the pot and stir.
Add milk to the pot and stir. Heat through.
Using either an immersion blender, or by transferring the soup to a stand blender, process the soup until smooth.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If soup is too tart, sweeten with a bit of honey or sweetener of your choice.
- Replace the chicken broth and milk with vegetable broth for a vegan version of the soup.
- Replace the milk with equal parts chicken or vegetable broth to make it dairy-free.