Greek yogurt isn’t only just for breakfast anymore!
Did you know that you can use it to make a mighty fine Caesar dressing?
Neither did I!
The traditional way to make Caesar dressing uses raw eggs, but I have a psychological aversion to using them. I’m sure I’ve eaten many a Caesar dressing made with raw eggs, but I’m paranoid about using them myself and about the potential for food poisoning.
And no one wants that. So I steer clear.
I have tried other Caesar dressing recipes that don’t use raw eggs. I have made a mayonnaise-based one that is actually pretty good in terms of taste and texture. However, mayonnaise isn’t the healthiest option these days, especially when most of them use rapeseed or canola oil.
I also know a number of people who have an aversion just thinking about mayonnaise. So that one was out.
Olive oil-based Caesar dressing? Yup…tried that one, too. But it was too runny and just didn’t have the right flavor or consistency that we expect for our Caesar salad. I didn’t want a dressing that made me think MEH.
But Greek yogurt Caesar dressing? THAT was a winner!
No mayo, no raw eggs, and no excessive oil. While the base is not traditional, the rest of the ingredients are: anchovies, fresh garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Mix it all together and you’ve got a fabulous Greek yogurt Caesar dressing! It has just the right blend of garlic, tang, and nuttiness we want for our Caesar salad…and it’s even healthy!
Also…don’t be afraid of the full-fat Greek yogurt! The fat is good for you, and it gives the dressing the right flavor and consistency. That being said, this recipe would probably work with low-fat Greek yogurt as well.
Crisp romaine leaves, tossed with this Greek yogurt Caesar dressing, and topped with fresh grated Parmesan and grilled prawns…it’s my FAVE.
My family loves this Caesar salad dressing…the boys can’t tell there is anything different about it from any other version. It also makes a great dip for veggies!
So next time you’re perusing the yogurt aisle and see Greek yogurt, think about buying some to make Caesar dressing!
Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1 cup plain Greek full-fat yogurt
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp anchovy paste (or 2 anchovy filets, minced)
- 1-2 garlic cloves grated or finely minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Whisk together all ingredients except Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese. Adjust salt and pepper and seasonings as necessary to taste.
- Keeps for about 1 week in a jar in the refrigerator.
- I used full-fat Greek yogurt, but this recipe should also work with low-fat versions.
- 06/18/2018 update: If you don't want to use anchovies, capers totally work as a substitution!
If you make this recipe, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: