Here are some words to ponder for a moment:
Crispy. Crunchy. Juicy. Tasty.
Here are a few more:
Three ingredients. Oven-baked. Totally yum.
Did I mention crispy and crunchy?
It sounds too good to be true, right? But it's not!
I used to love fried chicken as a kid, and a lot of us still love fried chicken...just not the actual "fried" part of it.
So how can we "fake it", so to speak?
Cornflakes cereal is my solution! Chicken coated with cornflakes has some serious satisfying crunch when you bite into it! It is totally addictive!
And all you need are three ingredients, two of which are already named in the title of the recipe...cornflakes and chicken! The other ingredient is soy sauce (or tamari or liquid aminos for gluten-free) which has just the right flavor complement to the cornflakes!
The cornflakes need to be turned into crumbs, and that can easily be accomplished by pulverizing them in a food processor. No food processor? Then crushing them in a ziploc bag with a rolling pin works just as well!
I like serving it with my Savory Ginger Garlic Coconut Rice, but it also tastes great with a salad, stir-fried leafy greens, or some Crispy Roasted Smashed Potatoes! My favorite thing to do is to scrape up any of the cornflakes from the pan and eat it with my rice...YUM!
By the way, if you haven't clued into it yet, using cornflakes and tamari also makes this a gluten-free dish! This recipe is fabulous on so many levels!
If you're all for crispy crunchy chicken that's also super tasty and easy to make and healthier than deep-fried (like me!), you will not be disappointed with cornflakes chicken. It's a seriously simple delicious recipe that comes together really quickly, making it a fabulous meal option, any night of the week.
Crispy Crunchy Cornflakes Chicken
- Chicken thighs or drumsticks skin on
- Soy sauce (tamari or coconut aminos for strict gluten-free)
- Cornflakes cereal
- Preheat oven 400 deg F (200 C).
- Using either a food processor, or a zip top bag and a rolling pin, crush the cornflakes cereal into crumbs.
- With the chicken in a bowl or ziploc bag, add enough soy sauce/tamari to coat the chicken pieces.
- Coat each piece of chicken thoroughly in cornflakes crumbs.
- Arrange chicken pieces on foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- For boneless chicken, bake for 25-30 minutes. For bone-in, bake for 40 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Serve immediately.
- If you don't have a rolling pin for crushing the cornflakes in a ziploc, a bottle of wine works great!
- To make the chicken pieces crispy on the top AND the bottom, place the chicken on a rack on your baking sheet.
- Try adding minced garlic, a few drops of chili oil/sauce, or honey to the soy sauce for some flavor variations!
- Calories per serving is based on one chicken piece per person.
This post was originally published on February 6, 2017, but was republished in March 2019 with new photos, instructional photos, writing, and updated recipe notes.