These banana chocolate chip muffins are moist, mildly sweet, and so good that you wouldn't guess that they're gluten-free! They are also a breeze to whip up! Enjoy them for breakfast, a snack, in a packed lunch, or with a hot cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon!
This recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins is an easy one and is a perfect one to keep in your back pocket when quick gluten-free baked treats are in order!
- Brown rice flour
- Tapioca starch
- Baking soda
- Room-temperature butter
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Greek yogurt
And then, of course, you obviously need bananas and chocolate chips!
How To Make the Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Peel the bananas and mash them with a fork into a paste. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream together the room temperature butter and maple syrup. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and whisk together before adding it to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
Add the mashed bananas and Greek yogurt to the bowl and mix.
Finally, add the chocolate chips to the muffin batter. Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin tin, filling each muffin cup just about full.
Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Commonly Asked Questions
Yes, white rice flour will work with this recipe.
Cornstarch or potato starch are comparable substitutes.
Sour cream is a good substitute for Greek yogurt.
Yes! Store them in a resealable freezer bag with most of the air squeezed out. Take muffins out as you want to eat them, letting them come to room temperature before microwaving for 10 seconds to soften.
More Gluten-Free Muffins and Bread Recipes
If you're looking for more gluten-free muffins or breads that would be great for breakfast or snacks, be sure to check out these delicious recipes!
Enjoy these muffins with a hot beverage like English Tea Latte, Ginger Honey Tea, or Coffee Milk Tea. Prefer cold beverages? Try the banana chocolate chip muffins with Cold-Brewed Coffee, Easy Iced Milk Tea, or Iced Matcha Tea Latte.
No matter how you enjoy them, you can't go wrong with the perfect combination of banana and chocolate in these muffins!
Gluten-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas (about 350g without peels)
- ⅓ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (plus more for topping)
- Preheat oven 375 deg F (190C).
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mash ripe bananas well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and maple syrup together using a mixer or whisk.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed butter and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add the ripe bananas and Greek yogurt and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop into lined muffin tin, filling cups almost to the top.
- Top with more chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- These muffins can be made by mixing all the ingredients together with a whisk if you don't have a mixer.
- Swap out the chocolate chips for blueberries for banana blueberry muffins!
- To soften leftover muffins, warm in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Freeze muffins in a resealable freezer bag. Pull out muffins as you intend to eat them and either bring them to room temperature before warming in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften.