If you’re looking for a flourless muffin that is just as good and tasty as a regular muffin, you’ve come to the right place. Chocolatey and moist, one bite of these chocolate chip zucchini muffins and you won’t believe they’re gluten-free!
You saw zucchini in the title for the recipe and thought, Whaaaaat?
But seriously, these flourless chocolate chip zucchini muffins don’t taste or look anything like a vegetable. Far from it!
In fact, they are moist and chocolatey, and the texture is totally like a muffin.
AND they are flourless!
How exactly these muffins come together without any flours or starches, I can’t exactly explain, but it does and I’m not complaining.
Why the zucchini?
The zucchini adds moisture to the muffin, not to mention some healthy goodness without you even realizing it!
Besides zucchini, the rest of the ingredients used to create this muffin magic are almond butter, banana, eggs, cocoa, ground flaxseed, baking soda, honey, and salt.
Speaking of honey, all you need is one tablespoon for this entire recipe…just ONE! The rest of the sweetness comes from the banana and the chocolate chips. I did try to make this recipe without any honey at all, but I found that these chocolate chip zucchini muffins needed just that extra little bit of sweetness to make them just right.
And that being said, if you like your muffins a bit sweeter, you could add an extra tablespoon of honey.
But seriously, I find these muffins perfect as they are!
These muffins are a favorite in our house…chocolatey and moist…how could they not be?
Just like my Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, these chocolate chip zucchini muffins are the perfect sweet treat…except that these don’t contain any grains, flours, or starches.
I love these straight from the fridge…I think that comes from liking hard cold chocolate chips instead of ones that are soft and melty! My husband prefers them at room temperature so the chocolate flavor is stronger. How ever you prefer to eat them, all you’re going to notice is how delicious chocolatey and moist and muffin-y they are…all without the gluten!
Flourless Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbs ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- More chocolate chips to top the muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F (190 C).
- Grate zucchini using a fine-sized grater.
- Wrap grated zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze as much liquid out as possible. Set zucchini aside.
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl, except the zucchini and chocolate chips. Blend well so there are no big lumps of almond butter in the batter.
- Add the zucchini and the semi-sweet chocolate chips and mix well.
- Scoop into lined muffin tin. (See recipe note below about muffin liners.)
- Top with more chocolate chips, gently pushing chips into the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on rack.
- Parchment or foil muffin liners work best with this recipe. Paper liners don't peel off the muffins very well.
- If desired, use a different type of chocolate chip for topping the muffins than what you use in the batter!
- These muffins are also great with chopped pecans on top.
- Instead of chocolate chips on top, drizzle the baked muffins with melted chocolate.
- These muffins freeze well!
If you make this recipe, share your photos on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like:
Recipe adapted from Running With Spoons.
This post was originally published on November 4, 2016, but was republished in May 2019 with new photos, instructional photos, and writing.