If you haven’t figured it out by now, I love me a banana muffin.
If I were standing in front of a selection of different flavored muffins and banana was one of the choices, I would be all over it! It is one of my favorite flavors for baked muffins or breads.
So it’s probably safe to say that there can never be too many banana muffin recipes…especially those with chocolate chips because chocolate chips make everything better, right?
These banana chocolate chip muffins are moist, banana-y, and just plain yummy! They are perfect for breakfast, school lunches, an afternoon snack, dessert, or partnered with a hot cuppa tea.
And if you can’t eat gluten or dairy, you’re in luck because that’s what this recipe is all about! When you try these muffins, you won’t miss what isn’t there! (See note below about chocolate chips.)
These muffins are also a total breeze to whip together. All it takes is ONE bowl and about 15 minutes! Who doesn't love only needing one bowl for prep??
And you don’t need any fancy mixer...just a spoon and some stirring action goin' on in the wrist. That’s it!
Just LOOK at that muffin!
In just over 20 minutes in the oven, you’ll have beautiful, moist, springy muffins. Mildly sweet and totally yummy, you’ll be amazed that these banana chocolate chip muffins are gluten- and dairy-free…and so will everyone else who tries them!
I’m thinking you need a banana muffin in your life right now… 😉
Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Dry Ingredients (volume measurements in the Recipe Notes below):
- Preheat oven 375 deg F (190C).
- Line muffin with foil or parchment liners.
- Sift or whisk together all dry ingredients; set aside.
- Mash ripe bananas; set aside.
- Combine all wet ingredients until well mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to mix.
- Stir in mashed bananas and ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin tray, filling cups to at ¾ full. Top with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle of muffins comes out clean.
- Volume Measurements:
- 1 ¼ cup + 1 tsp brown rice flour
- ¾ cup + 1 tbs + 1 tsp tapioca starch
- Please note that gluten-free recipes work best with weight measurements because they are more precise than volume measurements. Gluten-free baking requires more precision and can be less forgiving than baking with regular all-purpose wheat flour.
- These volume measurements were made from spooning each of the flours into the measuring cups/spoons (so they are not packed) and leveling them off.
- The volume measurements are approximate. Make slight adjustments to the recipe as needed, adding a bit more water or tapioca starch or brown rice flour to achieve the correct dough consistency.
- To keep these muffins dairy-free, make sure to read the ingredients on the chocolate chip bag. I use Guittard Extra Dark Chocolate Chips.
- Replace the chocolate chips with fresh blueberries and get banana blueberry muffins!
- Add chopped walnuts for a nutty taste.
- Keep extra muffins in the fridge...they taste great cold!
If you make this recipe, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like:
This recipe was updated on March 6th, 2019 with volume measurements for the flours and additional recipe notes.