I love tasty, hearty, and satisfying salads, but I'm not talking about some lettuce and a dribble of dressing because that is FAR from satisfying. Those types of salads only serve to be a side to something more substantial, or to help a plate look more full. Half the time, those salads are ignored because they are far less interesting than everything else on the plate. No, I love meal-worthy salads that can stand on their own and offer flavor and texture, just like this Turmeric Pepper Shrimp Spinach Salad.
I thought up this little creation while I was sitting on the bus heading home one day. I knew I wanted a salad, but it had to satisfy the palate and it had to be simple. Furthermore, I didn't want boring.
After thinking about the ingredients I already had on-hand at home, my Turmeric Pepper Shrimp Spinach Salad was born. It sounded so good in my head that I could easily imagine the flavors and textures. I couldn't wait to put it together for real!
Simple extra-virgin olive oil is the only dressing for this salad since it is already chalk full of yum. The spinach provides the bed for all the flavors...the spiciness from the turmeric and pepper on the shrimp, the richness from the avocado, the crunch and sweetness from the apple slices, the saltiness from the feta, and the nuttiness from the almond slices.
Additionally, this salad tastes so good that you'll forget that it's healthy! You've got nutrient-rich spinach, good fats, protein, and fiber. Additionally, you've got the added health boost from turmeric which is known for reducing inflammation in the body.
What else you could you ask for? Put all that together and you get awesomeness in every forkful. Boring? I think not.
Turmeric Pepper Shrimp Spinach Salad
- 1-2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 6-8 raw prawns (if frozen, thaw completely and pat dry)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ avocado sliced
- ½ apple thinly sliced
- 2 tbs crumbled feta cheese
- sliced almonds
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground salt (Pink Himalayan salt is a nice option)
- Heat a small frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Add ghee to hot pan, then add the shrimp.
- Sprinkle turmeric and pepper over the shrimp Flip all the shrimp pieces after 30 seconds and cook the other side. Cook for another 30-60 seconds, being careful not to overcook. Remove from heat.
- Top spinach with the avocado, apple slices, and shrimp. Sprinkle feta and almonds on top.
- Drizzle olive oil over salad and sprinkle salt over the salad. Enjoy immediately!
Customize it for you!If you don't want to use shrimp, try it with a flavorful sausage like Polish or Andouille.
As an alternative to sliced apples, try sliced pears, pineapple, papaya, or mango.
Parmesan can be a nice alternative to the feta.
Top with walnuts, pepitas, cashews, or pecans.
To add a citrus twist to the salad, drizzle a tablespoon of fresh orange or lemon juice over the salad in addition the olive oil.
If you make this dish, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: