Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus has to be one of the greatest inventions ever. I know…that sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. However, once you try making these and taste them, you may just agree with me!
One thing that makes Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus so great is that it is very easy to make. Aside from basic staples such as oil, salt and pepper, there are only two main ingredients. Yup. You guessed it. Asparagus and prosciutto.
Prosciutto wrapped asparagus make the perfect appetizer or side dish. Alternatively, this dish would make a nice satisfying lunch!
All you need to do is toss the asparagus spears with some oil or melted ghee. Wrap each of them with a strip of prosciutto and lay them all out on a baking sheet. Broil them in the oven. Add some freshly ground pepper and salt.
They’re not only easy and taste great, they also look great. It makes you just want to reach out and just grab a prosciutto wrapped asparagus spear and start nibbling away! Healthy finger food! A drizzle of balsamic vinegar over the spears gives them a nice tangy touch. To give them a spicy touch, add a 1/4 tsp of dried chili flakes to the oil before tossing it with the asparagus!
I like to serve them as a side dish to a main meal like quiche or roast chicken. They are also a great alternative to plain ol’ bacon (not knocking bacon in any way, of course!) and go fabulously with eggs.
That being said, you could probably do something similar with bacon instead of prosciutto. Now that idea sounds like it’s worth trying!
Until then, you definitely have to give this recipe a try when asparagus are in season where you live. Tender stalks of asparagus wrapped in prosciutto is just the perfect combination. And for those who are interested, this is (obviously) gluten-free and paleo compliant!
Try broiling up some Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus for your next gathering and leave a comment below!
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- 12 asparagus spears
- Prosciutto each slice cut in half lengthwise
- Melted ghee or olive oil (enough to coat asparagus)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes (optional)
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Rinse asparagus and pat dry. Break off woody ends and discard.
- Combine asparagus and ghee or olive oil on baking sheet and mix together with your hands to coat. (If using dried chili flakes, add to oil before mixing with asparagus.)
- Wrap each asparagus spear with a strip of prosciutto, angling as you wrap to cover most of the asparagus.
- Arrange on baking sheet and broil for 5-7 minutes, until prosciutto is sizzling and crispy and asparagus is tender.
- Remove to serving platter. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if desired. Serve immediately.
If you make this dish, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: