Trying to have a variety of gluten-free options for the boys’ school lunches can be a challenge sometimes. As I’ve said before, we are not strictly gluten-free, but we prefer to limit how much we eat of it. I am always game to try out new ideas, in hopes of finding success with one of them. Luckily, I scored with these Flourless Crepe Tortillas!
I achieved success when I stumbled upon the Simple Paleo Tortillas recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo. They are so good, I had to share the recipe and show what you can do with them! Not surprisingly, it is one of Stupid Easy Paleo’s most popular recipes, and it inspired me to get into the kitchen and try making them myself. Not only are they good, they are, indeed, incredibly easy to make and awesomely gluten-free.
These flourless crepe tortillas use simple ingredients and it takes a mere 10 minutes to throw the batter together. Cook each tortilla in a small pan for about a minute total and they are ready to use and eat! How crazy is that?
I use these tortillas to make wraps for the boys’ school lunches. I fill them with meat and cheese, roll them up, and they are ready to go! Additionally, I’ve also used these as soft taco wraps with ground meat and cheese and guacamole and salsa…and they held up great! They aren’t as strong as flour or corn tortillas, but they are a fantastic flourless option!
The wraps are easy for the boys to eat at school and go great with all the other extras I include.
I used peppered salami and a mozzarella stick for these wraps…too easy!
And I made this one with sliced cheddar and spinach and peppered salami. So easy and tasty!
However, if you or your kids are PB&J fans, spread some on the tortilla and roll it up! Try sliced turkey with some cranberry sauce. Another idea…make a vegetarian wrap with leftover roasted sweet potato fries, cucumber and avocado. Spread some almond butter on the tortilla and roll it up with some prosciutto and apple splices. Alternatively…how about cream cheese and smoked salmon for a more sophisticated flavor?
On the other hand, why not put a sweet spin on these tortillas by adding vanilla extract to the batter? For example, think fresh fruit and some whipped cream. How about a banana with some chocolate spread? The tasty possibilities are endless!
This recipe makes approximately nine 8-inch flourless crepe tortillas. I usually make a batch ahead of time so I’m good for a couple of lunch days. To store, cool the tortillas completely before wrapping them in a paper towel and sliding them into a zip top bag to keep in the fridge. They stay soft and pliable and are ready for rolling straight out of the fridge.
Keep in mind that although I talk about school lunches, you can roll these up with your favorite fillings and eat them anywhere, anytime!
Are you looking for good gluten-free wrap options? Are you stuck for school lunch ideas? You simply HAVE to try these flourless crepe tortillas. It is one of the best gluten-free recipes I have found and it is totally worth you trying out in your kitchen! Make them with your favorite fillings and leave a comment below!
Flourless Crepe Tortillas
- Melt ghee and add water.
- Add eggs and beat into a frothy mixture.
- Add tapioca or arrowroot flour, coconut flour, and sea salt. Mix well with a whisk.
- Heat an 8" nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Scoop batter into pan, swirling pan for the batter to cover the bottom evenly. I pour in approximately 2 tbs. worth of batter, about half a 1/4 cup measure.
- Let cook for about 30 seconds. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove to a plate to cool as you work on the next tortilla.
- Use immediately, or wrap stack of tortillas in a paper towel and store in a zip top bag in the fridge for a few days. Tortillas will still be soft and pliable right out of the fridge.
- Try some different filling ideas:
- Nut butter and jam.
- Cream cheese and smoked salmon.
- Nut butter, prosciutto, cheddar cheese and apple slices.
- Leftover sweet potato fries, avocado, and cucumber.
- Ham and apple slices.
- Banana and peanut butter or chocolate sauce...or both.
- Fruit and whipped cream.
- Grilled fish with guacamole and shredded cabbage.
If you make this dish and want to share your photo on Facebook or Instagram, be sure to tag me @dayinthekitchen and I’ll leave a comment!
You might also like: