Ridiculously Easy Homemade Bagels
Homemade bagels have never been so easy to make yourself! No boiling required!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 8 4" bagels
- 2 cups all-purpose or plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt (I used full-fat, but low-fat should be okay)
- egg white from one egg
- 1 tsp water
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Flax seeds
- Grated cheese
Preheat oven 375 deg F (180 C).
Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, combine egg white and 1 tsp water. Mix with a fork to loosen egg wash. Set aside.
Combine all dry ingredients in bowl and stir with whisk to combine.
Add yogurt to dry ingredients.
Mix dry and wet ingredients well using a fork or pastry cutter.
Using your hands, gather dough into a ball. If it is too dry, add 1 tsp of water and mix again until it comes together.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough about 10 times and form into a slightly flattened ball.
Cut dough into 8 equal pieces.
Roll each piece into a log.
Shape log into a bagel, overlapping and squeezing the ends together well.
Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
Brush bagels with egg wash, making sure to brush around all the edges.
Sprinkle toppings over bagels if desired.
Bake for 25 minutes on an upper rack.
Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing.
Store in a sealed bag for 1-2 days.
- This recipe makes 8 - 4" bagels. If you want to make larger bagels, cut the dough into 4 or 6 pieces instead of 8.
- Be sure to brush the egg wash on all exposed sides of the bagels (including the inside edges!).
- Bagels will keep for a couple days in a sealed bag.
- They toast up nicely, too!