Oh-So-Good Chicken Vegetable Soup
A bowl of this chicken vegetable soup is just what you need if you're under the weather, it's cold outside, or just because! It's hearty, healthy, and simply oh-so-good.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Servings 8 servings
- 6 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 L carton organic chicken broth
2-3 cups of chopped vegetables:
- green beans
In a 2-quart pot, combine fresh chicken thighs and 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes, skimming the broth every few minutes until most of the scum is gone.
Heat stockpot over medium heat. Add oil and cook onions, carrots, and garlic. Add 1 1/2 tsp salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so garlic does not burn.
Add chicken and stock to the onions and carrots in the stockpot.
Add the 1L carton of organic chicken broth.
Bring entire mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Cover with lid, leaving a small gap.
Remove chicken pieces from the soup. Add tender vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, etc.) to the soup.
Remove chicken meat from the bones, discarding the skin and cartilage. Shred the chicken meat and return to the soup.
Heat through until vegetables are tender.
Feel free to add 1/2-1 cup water if the soup has reduced too much after 3-4 hours of simmering.
Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- If you like celery, chop up a couple stalks and add them to your onion and carrot aromatics.
- Add a spoonful of cooked rice or cooked macaroni/pasta to your bowl before ladling in the hot soup for a heartier meal.
- Try different vegetables like green beans, asparagus, or potatoes. Keep in mind that adding potatoes may thicken the soup a little.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 225kcal