Chocolate Chip Date Nut Bars
Why spend money on energy bars when you can make them yourself? Perfect to hold you over until your next meal, these Chocolate Chip Date Nut Bars are an easy and healthy snack.
Servings 8 bars
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (I used cashews and almonds)
- 1 1/3 cups pitted dates, packed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbs cocoa powder
- 3 tbs chocolate chips
- 1/8 tsp salt
Soak dates for 10 minutes to soften. Remove dates and reserve liquid.
Chop nuts into fine pieces, whether using a knife or food processor.
Chop dates into a paste, using a food processor or knife.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. If mixture is too dry, add some of the reserved date liquid, a teaspoon at a time until mixture sticks together, but is not too wet.
Press mixture into parchment lined loaf pan. Pack down compactly.
Refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
Remove from refrigerator and cut into bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in fridge.
- Use whatever combination of nuts you'd like: cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.
- Pepitas would make a nice crunchy addition to the mix!
- Skip the chocolate chips if you want for a more even texture.
- Add dried cranberries or dried coconut flakes.