Chinese Poached Black Cod
A traditional Chinese way to prepare fish, this meal is simple and flavorful, and is one of my favorite childhood dishes.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbs light olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs black cod (sablefish) filets cut into large pieces
- 2-3 green onion stalks
- 1 knob ginger, about the size of a small lemon
- 2 tbs soy sauce (tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tbs sesame oil
If working with a whole side of fish, cut the fish into large pieces that will fit in a single layer in your pan.
Peel ginger and slice. Then julienne the slices. Set aside.
Chop green onions into 1-2" lengths. Set aside.
In large saucepan, heat water and light olive oil over medium heat.
Once water starts steaming, arrange fish pieces in a single layer in the pan.
Add ginger and reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add green onion to the pan replace lid; cook for another 5 minutes.
Add soy sauce and sesame oil to the poaching liquid and mix; spoon over the fish.
Transfer fish to a serving dish, ladling the sauce over the fish.
Serve with rice.
- This recipe will work with fish steaks.
- Other fish that works well with this method is Chilean sea bass or halibut.
- You can also steam the fish instead of poaching it, but skip adding water to the dish with the fish.