Crispy Roasted Smashed Potatoes
Go from blah to oh-so-good with these Crispy Roasted Smashed Potatoes! Leaps and bounds better than a boring ol' baked potato or regular mashed!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb. baby red potatoes See note below about potatoes
- 3-4 tbs light olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven 425 deg F (225C).
Rinse and clean any dirt or debris off potatoes.
Cut potatoes into quarters.
Place in a medium sized pot with water over high heat.
Bring potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 6 minutes.
Drain thoroughly and shake gently in the strainer to roughen up the edges of the potatoes a bit. Let sit a few minutes to dry out slightly.
Place potatoes on a baking sheet, skin sides down. Flatten potatoes with a fork or potato masher.
Drizzle oil over all the potatoes, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- I find the baby red potato variety work the best for this recipe.
- You can use Yukon potatoes, but they should only be boiled for 4-5 minutes and will crisp up in the oven much faster. Start checking them after 20-25 minutes in the oven.
- The more you can smash the potato quarters down, the crispier they will be. But make sure you don't flatten them smooth. All the uneven bits are what get the crispiest!
- For flavor variations, season the potatoes with other flavors like garlic powder or dried chili flakes.
- Top with grated Parmesan during the last half of baking if you want crispy cheesy smashed potatoes!
- Top with fresh cut chives, sour cream, and chopped bacon for a fun take on a baked potato!