Quiche is a wonderful invention. I love how baking scrambled eggs together with a bunch of different fillings can be a simple, yet complete meal. It’s an easy weeknight meal that’s full of proteins and veggies and vitamins and all that other good stuff. Furthermore, it’s all in one dish! Bonus! Remove the traditional wheat pastry crust and this Sweet Potato Broccoli Bacon Quiche is not only gluten-free, it is hearty and healthy.
Use the sweet potato base for any of your favorite quiche fillings. I have made this quiche with a simple spinach filling, but this time, I wanted to experiment a bit and make a more substantial version. Broccoli sounded like a good filler, in addition to some feta and cheddar for extra “glue” and saltiness. And bacon. Oh yes, you can’t go wrong with using bacon in the filling. Bacon is a good thing.
The egg mixture didn’t actually cover all the filling I loaded into the crust, but it all worked out really well anyway. The filling didn’t get lost in too much egg, and there was a perfect balance with all the different textures. If you prefer more egg, however, adjust the recipe to so there is less filler. Like a lot of recipes, there is room for play depending on your preferences. So think outside the box and play with the possibilities!
As a result, this quiche experiment proved to be a success! My older son liked this quiche so much, he said I should teach him how to make it! I was speechless! In hoping to inspire YOU to spend a day in your kitchen, I inspired my own son. How satisfying is that? If a 14 year old teenage boy wants to make this sweet potato broccoli bacon quiche, isn’t that enough to inspire you, too?
Sweet Potato Broccoli Bacon Quiche
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and sliced thin
- olive oil
- 3-4 cups chopped broccoli cooked in boiling water for 5 minutes and set aside to cool
- 2 tbs crumbled feta
- 3 slices bacon chopped and cooked
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- Preheat oven 375 deg F (190 C).
- Lightly grease oven-safe pie plate with olive oil. Layer sweet potato slices on bottom of dish. Cut slices into half-circles and use along the edges of the plate.
- Lightly brush olive oil over sweet potatoes and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove sweet potato crust from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Layer in broccoli, bacon and feta.
- Pour egg mixture over filling and top with cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove when top is lightly browned and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Customize it for you!Make the quiche a bit cheesier by mixing cheddar into the beaten eggs before pouring into the pie plate.
Make it a combination of broccoli and cauliflower.
Use spinach instead of broccoli; just be sure to cook/wilt the spinach before adding it to the crust.
If you make this dish, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: