Have you ever noticed that as summer wanes and the weather becomes cooler, we want to bake or roast more? Perhaps it’s the warmth we get from the oven. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that oven-cooked foods often bring us comfort. And we all want some comfort when winter starts setting in. Well, these roasted veggies and sausages will do just that.
Personally, we have no heat in our place (yes, you heard right…it’s the “norm” in Hong Kong since the winters are so short), so when the temperatures begin to drop, I welcome any opportunity to use the oven. And then suddenly everyone in my family wants to spend a day in the kitchen with me! But I digress…
Use any combination of vegetables, but with fall and winter upon us, take advantage of the great root vegetables available. Sweet potatoes and pumpkin are excellent choices for natural sweetness. For texture and flavor, mix in cruciferous vegetables, like cauliflower, broccoli, or brussels sprouts. Throw in several cloves of garlic and chunks of onions for aromatics. I used cauliflower and asparagus, and I skipped the onions this time. But seriously, this recipe allows room for variation and play, and I encourage you to play with your food!
Toss all the vegetables in some extra light olive-oil. Why extra light and not extra virgin? The extra light olive oil has a more neutral flavor and is good for cooking. I save the extra-virgin olive oil for using fresh on salads, but the choice is yours.
Once all your veggies are happily oiled, don’t forget the sausages. I chose one of our favorites…a simple salt and pepper pork sausage that adds just the right meat texture and flavor balance to the dish. This would also be good with spicy Andouille sausages, apple chicken sausages…my mouth is watering just thinking of the possibilities!
Throw it all in the oven (well, not literally, of course) and after 40 minutes (with a good stir at the halfway mark), you’ve got a sizzling tasty one pan meal. Roasted veggies and sausages is hearty and satisfying and oh so good! Can’t you imagine how good this would be with a bowl of hot soup on a chilly fall or winter night? Or how about as a side dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner? I think your oven is calling you!
Roasted Veggies and Sausages
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 small sweet potatoes peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 lb asparagus spears broken into bite-size pieces
- 4 sausage links leave whole or cut in half
- Extra light olive oil
- Sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven 375 deg F (190 deg C).
- Combine all the vegetables on a baking sheet lined with foil. Add enough olive oil to coat all the vegetables. Mix together with your hands and spread evenly on the pan.
- Add sausages to the pan. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the vegetables and sausages.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and stir. Bake for another 20 minutes
- Serve immediately.
- Play around with the vegetable and sausage options and come up with your own unique tasty combination!
- Try it with pumpkin, cauliflower, broccoli, parsnips, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, etc.
- Add more flavor and spice by using Andouille or Kielbasa sausage.
- Serve it as a side to eggs for brunch!
If you make this dish, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: