My boys and I love hummus. My husband, on the other hand, not so much. He’s not a fan of the garbanzo beans (or chick peas) that are traditionally used to make hummus. He doesn’t like the texture of them, nor does he like the flavor of them. So if I buy hummus, I know it’s only going to be the boys and I who will eat it. Not that he has to like everything I like, but I viewed this as a challenge...is there a way to make hummus without garbanzo beans?
And there is! The main ingredient in this amazing beanless hummus is roasted cauliflower!
I’m a huge fan of roasted cauliflower as it is…I could eat a whole bowl of it! But did you know you can take these roasted beauties and turn it into an amazing dip??
As with most hummus recipes, you need tahini, and lucky for you, I’ve got my Easy Homemade Tahini recipe you can refer to! There is no need to go buy an expensive jar of tahini from the store. Make it yourself with two simple ingredients…sesame seeds and oil! Make sure to check out the recipe!
Once you’ve got your tahini, then all that’s left to make the hummus is roasted cauliflower, garlic, salt and pepper, all thrown into a food processor.
Let the processor do its blending magic and you end up with hummus!
Do you want to know what else you can do?? Add tomato paste and basil to the mixture and get Roasted Cauliflower Tomato Basil Hummus (as pictured on the right)…YUM!
My husband loves this hummus, and even my boys, who are already fans of traditional hummus love this version, too. It’s perfect for dipping fresh vegetables or your favorite chips or pita bread.
I also dollop some of the roasted cauliflower hummus on my Super Food Quinoa Bowls and it tastes awesome with all the other ingredients. Whereas my husband used to ask me to leave the hummus out of his quinoa bowl, now he happily requests it!
Whether you’re a fan of garbanzo beans or not, this Roasted Cauliflower Hummus is worth a try! You will be amazed at how close it is to regular hummus and how good it tastes! Give it a whirl in your kitchen and leave a comment below!
Roasted Cauliflower Hummus
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into small chunks
- Light olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tomato Basil Variation
- 4 tbs tomato paste
- 1-2 teaspoon fresh or dried basil
- Preheat oven 400 deg F (200C).
- Coat cauliflower pieces with enough oil to coat. Spread out on parchment or foil lined baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Cool completely.
- In food processor bowl, add roasted cauliflower, tahini, garlic clove, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Process until well blended.
- If consistency is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil at a time, processing after each addition, until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, if desired.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- For Tomato Basil version, add the tomato paste and basil after your desired consistency is already reached.