Are you ready for this?!
Homemade bagels made right in your own kitchen. With your own two hands. With just a few simple ingredients. That look just like store-bought. No yeast. No rising.
No. Boiling. Required.
I don’t think I’d be stretching the truth by saying that this is life-changing!
Okay, maybe not.
But being able to make your own homemade bagels easily is a big deal!
All you need is some basic dry ingredients that you will, most likely, already have in your cupboard. And the magic ingredient that makes it all come together is Greek yogurt! That’s it!
I have to say that I’m becoming a huge…HUGE fan of Greek yogurt because it is good for so much more than just breakfast. It provides a good helping of protein with less sugar and carbohydrates than regular yogurt. Bonus, right?
In literally about a minute or two, you’ve got a ball of dough on your hands, ready for dividing and shaping into bagels! And as I mentioned already, there is no yeast in the recipe, so there is no rising (ie waiting) required. You also don’t need to boil the bagels first like in traditional bagel recipes. All you do is mix, shape, brush on an egg wash, sprinkle on your favorite toppings (if desired) and bake!
In a quick 25 minutes, you will have these amazing beauties sitting on your pan, ready for devouring!
These homemade bagels are perfectly bagel-y chew on the outside and tender on the inside. They are ready for a healthy shmear of cream cheese, butter and jam, or your favorite sandwich fillings for a bagel-wich!
Call this a cheater recipe, if you’d like, but no one ever said cheater recipes can’t be good! My sister also said that these look just like store-bought bagels! Who’d a thought they would be so ridiculously easy to make??
P.S. Are you looking for a gluten-free version of this recipe? Click on over to my Easy Oh-So-Good Gluten-Free Bagels!
Ridiculously Easy Homemade Bagels
- 2 cups all-purpose or plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt (I used full-fat, but low-fat should be okay)
- egg white from one egg
- 1 tsp water
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Flax seeds
- Grated cheese
- Preheat oven 375 deg F (180 C).
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine egg white and 1 tsp water. Mix with a fork to loosen egg wash. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in bowl and stir with whisk to combine.
- Add yogurt to dry ingredients.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients well using a fork or pastry cutter.
- Using your hands, gather dough into a ball. If it is too dry, add 1 tsp of water and mix again until it comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough about 10 times and form into a slightly flattened ball.
- Cut dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log.
- Shape log into a bagel, overlapping and squeezing the ends together well.
- Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Brush bagels with egg wash, making sure to brush around all the edges.
- Sprinkle toppings over bagels if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes on an upper rack.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- Store in a sealed bag for 1-2 days.
- This recipe makes 8 - 4" bagels. If you want to make larger bagels, cut the dough into 4 or 6 pieces instead of 8.
- Be sure to brush the egg wash on all exposed sides of the bagels (including the inside edges!).
- Bagels will keep for a couple days in a sealed bag.
- They toast up nicely, too!
If you make this dish and want to share your photo on Facebook or Instagram, be sure to tag me @dayinthekitchen and I’ll leave a comment!
You might also like: