Ever since I stumbled upon the magic of Greek yogurt in bagels, I’ve been inspired to come up with all sorts of different bread-like recipes that make use of that same magic!
And here is my latest creation, Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Buns!
Now I’m adding a simple gluten-free bun to the mix for those times when you want a gluten-free option for your sandwich or hamburger!
Sometimes if you see a gluten-free sandwich or hamburger option, the fillings actually come wrapped in lettuce. I’m a fan of those, and they’re great if you’re in the mood for a lettuce wrap sandwich.
But sometimes you want a sandwich or a hamburger with an actual bun…and that’s where these gluten-free buns come in!
And speaking of burgers, these buns are the perfect companion to my Homemade Hamburger Patties! Homemade patties and buns are the best and easier than you think!
So for your upcoming summer cookout, whip up a batch of these buns for those burgers or sandwiches! If you’re gluten-free, you don’t have to miss out!
Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Buns
Dry Ingredients (volume measurements in the Recipe Notes below):
- 220 g sorghum flour
- 135 g tapioca starch (flour)
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbs honey
- Egg white
- Splash of water
- Preheat oven 375 deg F (190 C).
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine all the dry ingredients well using a whisk.
- Combine the yogurt and honey and mix well with a whisk or fork.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Combine the yogurt and dry ingredients using a fork.
- Blend well until a cohesive dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a work surface dusted well with tapioca starch.
- Making sure your hands are dusted well with tapioca starch, work the dough until a ball forms.
- Shape into a flattened disk.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough into a flattened disk and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a fork, blend together the egg white and water.
- If desired, gently score the top of the buns with a sharp knife, being careful not to insert the knife too far.
- Brush each bun with the egg wash, making sure to coat the edges.
- Top with sesame seeds or other toppings, if desired.
- Bake on an upper rack for 25 minutes.
- Transfer buns to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.
- Volume Measurements:
- 2 cups + 1/2 tsp sorghum flour
- 1 1/3 cup + 1 tsp tapioca starch
- Please note that gluten-free recipes work best with weight measurements because they are more precise than volume measurements. Gluten-free baking requires more precision and can be less forgiving than baking with regular all-purpose wheat flour.
- These volume measurements were made from spooning each of the flours into the measuring cups/spoons (so they are not packed) and leveling them off.
- The volume measurements are approximate. Make slight adjustments to the recipe as needed, adding a bit more Greek yogurt or a bit more tapioca starch or brown rice flour to achieve the correct dough consistency.
- These buns keep for 2 days in a sealed bag. Use a toaster or microwave to warm them and they will soften right up.
- Top them with sesame seeds, grated Parmesan, poppy seeds, etc.
- Great for school lunch sandwiches, too!
If you make this recipe, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like:
This recipe was updated on March 6th, 2019 with volume measurements for the flours and additional recipe notes.