5 ingredients and 5 minutes are all you need to make this sweet, spicy, and salty Korean chili sauce! It’s the perfect condiment that gives a tasty kick to a variety of dishes, Asian or not!
You’ve heard of ketchup. And you’ve probably heard of sriracha.
But have you heard of gochujang?
If you’ve enjoyed many a Korean dish, like bibimbap or japchae, you must be familiar with this chili sauce that takes your taste buds up a notch!
Made from just a few ingredients and requiring no cooking, you can make this chili sauce lickety split.
All it takes it some miso paste, garlic, fine chili powder (not the flakes), rice vinegar, and honey. Mix it together really well with a whisk and add enough water to get it to your desired level of sauciness.
And much like my Broiled Miso Salmon Filets, this is another great use of miso and shows that this flavorful Asian ingredient can do so much more than just soup!
You’ve got spice from the chili powder, a slight tang from from the rice vinegar, sweetness from the honey, and the flavorful bite that garlic gives. The miso paste gives this Korean chili sauce its saltiness, umami, and body.
One thing to keep in mind that not all chili powders are the same. Depending on whether it is from Korea, Thailand, Mexico, Spain, etc., they may have different flavors and different levels of spiciness because of the different chili peppers they use! So that being said, I don’t know what this sauce would be like if you were to use a chili powder, but you could certainly give it a try. You should be able to find the Korean chili powder in your Asian or Korean food market.
Think out of the box when using this condiment! While it’s fabulous on japchae or bimbimbap or other rice and noodles dishes, use it as a dip for postickers, breaded chicken, or veggies. You could even drizzle it on fried eggs!
And you’ve heard of sriracha mayo, right? You can even make gochujang mayo and use it as a dip or to give your sandwiches a spicy Korean kick!
Five ingredients. Five minutes. Spicy, sweet, salty, and delicious. What are you waiting for?
No-Cook 5 Minute Korean Chili Sauce (Gochujang)
- 3 tbs miso paste
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs chili pepper flakes powder
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 3 tbs water
- Combine all ingredients in a bow and mix well with a whisk.
- Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.
- When buying chili pepper, make sure you are purchasing the fine powder form and not the chili flakes.
- If the sauce is too thick, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Adjust the amount of the ingredients according to taste.
- If doubling or tripling the recipe, blend all the ingredients in a blender!
- Drizzle on bibimbap, japchae, eggs, fried rice...on anything you might you use with ketchup!!
- Mix with mayo to make gochujang mayo and use it as a dip or spread it in sandwiches!
You might also like:
Adapted from Unconventional Cooks Korean Chili Pepper Paste recipe.