I used to be the only one in my family who was really into shrimp. If we went out to eat and were eating family style, I pretty much had to steer clear of anything with shrimp because no one would want to share it with me and it would be too much for me to eat an entire dish by myself.
But thanks to my older son having dinner at my friend, Janine’s house one day, suddenly he loved shrimp!
Could *I* ever convince him to try it? Nooooo… Of course not.
But in his efforts to be a polite and gracious guest in my friend’s home when she fed him dinner, he tried shrimp and proceeded to tell me how much he loved it! (Needless to say, I’ve suggested that he needs to eat at Janine’s more often and perhaps she can feed him a plate of onions…)
Once he was onboard with shrimp, I took that as a green light to start cooking shrimp at home for our meals and happily, everyone is enjoying it!
Oh, and the avocado crema for these shrimps tacos is ridiculously easy to make! Made with Greek yogurt, everything just goes into the blender and just like that, you’ve got a beautiful, creamy, tangy, drizzle to top your tacos.
Besides tasting great, these shrimp tacos are crazy easy to prepare so they are perfect for a weeknight meal.
They can also easily be made gluten-free by using lettuce leaves instead of tortillas, and just like traditional tacos, you can just put all the ingredients and fixings on the table and everyone can make their own.
We’re all familiar with regular Mexican style beef tacos with cheese and salsa and all the usual toppings…and what’s not to love about those?
But these Garlic Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema are a refreshing take on the whole taco scene…juicy garlic shrimp topped with tangy avocado crema…they are SO good! Liven taco night up a bit and give these shrimp tacos a try!
Garlic Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema
- 1 1/2 lbs (680g) raw deveined peeled shrimp
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado (or 2 small)
- 1/3 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbs fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Lime zest
- 2 tbs Cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven 400 deg F (200C).
- Combine all marinade ingredients together in bowl and mix well with a whisk.
- Add the raw shrimp and stir well to coat completely.
- Arrange the marinated shrimp on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the shrimp.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until shrimp is cooked.
- Combine all ingredients in blender.
- Blend until well combined and sauce is smooth and consistent in texture, about 1-2 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- I used full-fat Greek yogurt for the avocado crema, but low-fat should work as well.
- Fill your tacos with other fillings like shredded lettuce, sliced cucumber, roasted peppers, etc.
- For some added spice, sprinkle some dried chili flakes on your tacos. Or go with a traditional pico de gallo salsa!
- This recipe can easily be adapted into a salad and would be just as enjoyable eaten with a fork!
If you make this dish, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: