I live in a house with a husband and two boys who love their baked sweet treats. Chocolate is, undoubtedly, their flavor of choice. I have my tried-and-true go-to recipes, but in a bid to eat healthier, I have been on the lookout for gluten-free options. I have also been looking for recipes with no refined sugar. Alas, it seems that sometimes it’s hard to have our cake and eat it, too! Luckily, I think I have finally found a keeper with these Flourless Chocolate Chip Brownies!
My friend, Tracy inspired me to make this brownie recipe she found in a cookbook called Tiny And Full by Jorge Cruise. I was intrigued about this recipe…black beans, dates, no refined sugar, applesauce… And everything made in a blender?? Was this for real?
How could it possibly be that easy? To top it off, she didn’t send me a photo with the recipe. I would be going into this experiment blind! My curiosity was piqued and I wanted to give this recipe a go. I had also heard a bit about brownies using black beans, so trying a recommended recipe seemed like a good idea.
What resulted was a pan full of rich, chocolaty brownies full of YUM.
With that first bite of the brownie, it was moist, crumbly, and chocolaty. Amazingly, the sweetness all came from the dates and chocolate chips…that’s it. It had just the right amount of sweetness without feeling like my head was about explode from sugar overload. The texture was a bit mousse-like, yet still crumbly. There were no obvious signs of black beans or dates…everything had blended perfectly and baked into brownie magic. I was pleasantly surprised!
And what did the my family of dessert critics think? My husband LOVED them immediately. No exaggeration. I think this is his favorite brownie of all the gluten-free recipes I’ve made.
My boys know what gluten brownies are like, so trying these gluten-free recipes on them is a big test. Kids can often be the toughest critics, especially in a bid to eat healthier. But they loved them and didn’t feel as if they were settling for anything less. These flourless chocolate chip brownies are a huge hit in my house and they never last as long as I think they will.
So what are you waiting for? Aren’t you curious enough to want to try this recipe? How much easier can it be to throw all the ingredients into the blender? They are a perfect way to satisfy your chocolate fudge brownie craving, all the while actually being (*GASP*) healthy!
Flourless Chocolate Chip Brownies
- 1 14 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup dried pitted dates, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbs brewed coffee (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 350 deg F (180 deg C)
- Cut each date into 2 or 3 pieces. If the dates seem too hard, soak for 10-15 minutes in water, then squeeze liquid out before adding to the blender with the other ingredients.
- Line 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper
- Add all ingredients, except chocolate chips, to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir to mix.
- Pour batter into baking dish and top with remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let brownies cool completely but cutting into squares.
If you make this recipe, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: