I never realized that homemade hamburger patties were actually easy to make. I mean, I knew I could make them, but I always thought they needed a bunch of ingredients.
My dad used to make them when I was younger, and I remember him mixing a bowl of ground beef with dry bread crumbs and egg and who knows what else. I didn’t think about it much back then…I just knew that we got hamburger patties out of it!
That being said, my dad didn’t make hamburger patties for hamburgers. We would just eat them by themselves with ketchup..or mayonnaise! Remember that my parents were Chinese immigrants so we did everything a bit differently!
Anyway, back to the patties!
So what do you need to make homemade hamburger patties?
Seriously. That’s it. Beef.
No fillers. Just beef.
Sure, sprinkle on the salt and pepper while cooking, sandwich it between a bun with cheese and tomatoes and lettuce and dressing and whatever else you like in your burgers.
But the patties themselves?
Get good quality ground beef. Measure out each patty by weight. Form into a patty shape. Heat pan or grill. Lightly brush oil on patty, season with salt and pepper. Face down on grill. Cook. Flip. Top with cheese (if desired) while it finishes cooking. Done.
Oh, and if you’re looking for homemade buns that happen to also be gluten-free, check out my Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Buns or my Gluten-Free Garlic Herb Cheese Rolls…both perfect for these beef patties!
There’s a reason why this recipe is called EASY Homemade Hamburger Patties.
Easy Homemade Hamburger Patties
- 1 lb. (454g) ground beef
- Light olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slices of cheddar cheese (if making cheeseburgers)
- Using your hands, mash together the ground beef so it becomes more cohesive.
- Using a kitchen scale, measure out 2 oz. portions of beef.
- Shape the portions into patties with your hands.
- Place patties on a plate or platter and refrigerate to firm up before cooking, about 1 hour.
- Heat grill or pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush oil on beef patties and season with salt and pepper.
- Once grill or pan is hot, place beef patties, seasoned side down. Do not crowd the patties or move them while they are cooking. Do not press on them with the spatula.
- Let cook for about 2.5 - 3 minutes before flipping.
- Season with salt and pepper again. If making cheeseburgers, top with sliced cheese to let it melt on the burger while it is cooking.
- Cook another 2.5 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let the meat rest a minute before placing in a bun.
- This recipe makes burger patties that are suitable for small burgers or sliders. Adjust the portion size of each beef patty accordingly if you want larger patties.
- If you make the patties thicker, they will require more cooking time on each side.
- You can also freeze the patties ahead of time (separating each patty with parchment paper) and cook them straight from the freezer when you want them.
If you make this recipe, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: