These Classic Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies are adapted from Alton Brown’s The Chewy, and are a huge favorite. If you like your chocolate chip cookies to be crisp on the outside and chewy on the outside, you will love this recipe.
I can’t rave about these cookies enough. They bake up perfectly and taste chocolate-chip-cookie-amazing. Apparently, my friends’ kids can’t believe these cookies are not from a bakery. That is quite the endorsement!
Are they the healthiest cookie? Not particularly, no. I don’t bake these as often as I used to (which was A LOT!). However, if I want to make a really good chewy chocolate chip cookie, this is the one. It is the best classic chocolate chip cookie I have ever made. (Keep in mind that I use phrases like “the best” rarely when referring to recipes…)
I used to swear by the Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on the back of the yellow bag, but once I made these about 10 years ago, I never looked back! They are my go-to chocolate chip cookie and I always bake them at Christmas to spread some holiday cheer. And yes, I keep a few for me and the boys, too!
Here’s a little bundle I put together during the holidays. Combined with Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, these cookie bags are perfect for spreading some cheer.
The ingredients are very basic. Flour, butter, sugar, eggs, chocolate chips…the usual. It is Alton Brown’s perfect proportions of these ingredients that creates the ultimate cookie in texture and taste. And when they’re baking, the house smells A-MAZING.
Careful baking time is a key to the perfect texture to these cookies. DO NOT OVERBAKE THEM. Remove them from the oven when they are golden brown on the edges and a teeny bit undercooked in the center. When you think they might need another minute in the oven, that’s the time to actually take them out. The cookie continues to cook just enough so they will be tender right in the center. They also sink in the middle to give it that fresh-from-the-bakery kind of look.
So what are you waiting for? Don’t you just want to sink your teeth into one of these? ‘Tis the season for baking up and sharing a batch of these dream cookies.
Classic Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- In medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Melt butter gently over low heat. Do not let it come to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In large mixing bowl, combine melted butter and two sugars. Using a beater, cream the butter and sugar together until thick.
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla to the butter-sugar and mix well to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and mix.
- Add the chocolate chips and combine well.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 375 deg F (190 C).
- Using a cookie scoop or rolling dough between your hands, place cookie dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Do not crowd the cookies and allow room for spread.
- Bake for 11 minutes until the edges are golden brown. The centers will look very slightly uncooked.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes before transferring them to cool completely on a sheet of foil on the counter.
If you make this recipe, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: