This chocolate swirl banana bread not only looks delicious, it IS delicious! Wonderfully moist and perfectly sweet, you would never guess that it's also gluten-free!
Check. This. Out.
An oh-so delicious and moist banana bread swirled with chocolate that looks as delish as it tastes!
And it's totally gluten-free. Crazy, right?
But you would never know it upon taking a bite!
Like Any Quick Bread Recipe...Almost
This recipe starts out like most quick bread recipes, creaming together butter and sugar. However, in this recipe, I substitute the commonly used white granulated sugar with maple syrup, a healthier alternative.
Also, instead of the common ratio of 1:1 for the butter and sugar, I use less sweetener in general than most traditional quick bread recipes...enough to register sweetness, but not so much that you're overloaded.
Once you cream the butter and maple syrup together, then come the eggs and vanilla, the dry ingredients, and finally, the mashed bananas and Greek yogurt.
Yes! Greek yogurt! There are some banana bread recipes out there that use sour cream, but I prefer using Greek yogurt because I find it's a healthier option to sour cream and it functions just the same in adding moisture to the bread.
Next comes the chocolate part of this chocolate swirl banana bread! Melt chocolate chips, mix it together with some of the banana bread batter, then swirl it together before transferring to a loaf pan.
It's Not Just Any Ol' Banana Bread...
Leave this bread to bake happily for about an hour and you end up with a beautiful chocolate swirl banana bread.
With beautiful swirls, cracks in the top of the loaf, and a delicious smell, you'll have to restrain from devouring it on the spot!
And again...gluten-free! Hello! You can't tell at all, right??
A slice of this chocolate swirl banana bread is the perfect go-to for breakfast, packed lunches and snacks. Warm up a slice and add a dollop of fresh whipped cream or ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce and you've got a simple yet elegant dessert.
I always store it in the fridge because we happen to like it cold. Whenever I make chocolate swirl banana bread, my youngest loves having a slice as his breakfast before school, and if he's hungry, it's the perfect snack to hold him over until dinner. This is a total winner in our house and is sure to be one in yours, too!
Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread
- Preheat oven 350 deg F (180C).
- Combine brown rice flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the room temperature butter and maple syrup and beat with a mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter mixture and beat.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Add mashed bananas and yogurt to the batter and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted chocolate chips and 1 cup of the banana bread batter. Mix very well.
- Add about ⅔ of the chocolate mixture to banana bread batter and run a spoon or spatula through it 2-3 times to create swirls. Do not overmix.
- Transfer batter to a parchment-lined loaf pan.
- Add remaining ⅓ of the chocolate mixture to the top of the batter and gently run a spatula through it and the banana bread batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, testing for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the loaf.
- Let cool 5 minutes before using the parchment paper to lift the bread out of the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Melt the chocolate chips one of two ways:
- Microwave for 1 minute and stir well to incorporate any solid bits. Microwave another 15 seconds, if required, to get the chocolate to a smooth consistency.
- Using the double boiler method, place chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl and place over a pot with simmering water. Stir frequently until chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Store the banana bread in a sealed container for a few days, or up to a week in the refrigerator. We love eating it cold from the fridge!
- It also freezes well when stored in a ziploc bag with most of the air squeezed out.
- Make it more chocolatey by sprinkling chocolate chips on top before baking!
You might also like: