Chocolate and mint.
That has to be one of the best flavor combinations ever.
Or maybe it’s just that chocolate makes just about everything better!
All I know is that chocolate and peppermint is one of my absolute favorites.
And I know that not everyone is a fan of the combination, but if you are, you are going to LOVE this chocolate peppermint tea latte!
This luscious chocolate peppermint tea is simply milk, peppermint tea, and chocolate. Count ’em…that’s only THREE ingredients!
And the inspiration for this recipe came from two sources.
One inspiration is the peppermint mochas from coffee shops. Peppermint, chocolate, coffee, enough said.
The other inspiration came from Earl Grey Hot Chocolate from Nomms.com. When I saw her recipe combining of tea and chocolate, I thought, why couldn’t I try and do *peppermint* tea and chocolate??
This recipe is also based on my Yummy Cuppa English Tea Latte, but with a twist…a peppermint chocolate twist!
I steeped 3 tea bags for a stronger peppermint taste, and luckily, peppermint tea is naturally caffeine-free, so there’s no worry about getting wired! Depending on how strong your favorite brand of tea is or how much of a peppermint taste you want, feel free to use 1 or 2 tea bags if 3 is too much.
For the chocolate, I used 70% dark chocolate, but feel free to use whatever grade suits your taste. A lower percentage chocolate will make the tea sweeter; a darker chocolate will make it less sweet and slightly more bitter.
If you want more of a rich chocolatey taste, feel free to add more chocolate. The more you add, the more this drink becomes a peppermint hot chocolate!
And no additional sweetener is required since the sweetness comes from the milk and the chocolate…bonus!
If you want to make a bit fancier, sprinkle some cocoa on top, or even add whipped cream!
Whether you make this as a chocolate peppermint tea latte or a peppermint tea infused hot chocolate, you are going to love this hot and cozy drink. It’s sure to become a favorite on those chilly days, or just when you want to get your peppermint chocolate fix.
Chocolate Peppermint Tea Latte
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk, or almond milk or nut milk for dairy free
- 3 peppermint tea bags strings and tags cut off
- 0.4 oz. 70% dark chocolate (10g)
- Chop chocolate into fine pieces. Set aside.
- Heat milk in a pot over low heat until small bubbles begin to form. Stir frequently, or use a whisk to create a froth
- Remove pot from heat and add tea bags. Let steep for 5-10 minutes depending on taste preference.
- Remove tea bags and place pot of milk back on stove over low heat, whisking with a whisk to build up the foam again, if desired.
- Add chopped chocolate to the hot milk.
- Stir with a whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour into your favorite mug and sprinkle some cocoa onto the tea, if desired.
- For a non-dairy milk option, use a nut milk like almond milk or coconut milk.
- I found 70% dark chocolate complemented the peppermint tea the best. However, feel free to use whatever grade of chocolate you prefer.
- Adjust the amount of chocolate to more or less depending on your taste.
- Adjust the number of peppermint tea bags depending on the strength of peppermint flavor and your personal taste.
- For a more indulgent tea, top with whipped cream!
If you make this drink, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: