In need of a chocolate fix? With a crisp outside and soft middle, one bite of these chocolate chocolate chip cookies and you’ll be in chocolate heaven!
Chocolate is good.
Cookies are good.
Therefore, chocolate cookies are good.
And chocolate chocolate chip cookies can only be really good, right? Double the chocolate, double the fun? 🙂
These cookies are crisp on the outside and soft in the middle, and they’re the perfect solution when you’re looking to have that little something sweet.
(As a disclaimer, this recipe is not gluten-free, but never fear! For those of you who are gluten-free and want to have your cookies eat them, too, I’m working on it!)
The ingredients are simple…we start with butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Those are beaten together well before adding in the dry ingredients of flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
Beat those well until you get your cookie dough, and then it’s a simple matter of stirring in the chocolate chips! Then the cookie dough needs a chill in the fridge to firm up a bit before it’s ready for scooping and baking.
These cookies don’t spread as much as other cookies and when they come out of the oven, they might look a bit dome-like. But as they cool, they’ll sink a bit into thick cookies.
If You’re Not Baking Right Away…
If you aren’t baking the cookies right away, the dough keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator, or you can also freeze it!
Freeze all the dough in a zippered freezer bag, or an even better is to form individual cookie dough balls and freeze them individually on a pan. Once frozen, store all the balls in a freezer bag and you’ve got cookie dough ready for baking! You just have to remember to let the dough balls warm up a bit on the pan before putting them in the oven so that they cook properly in the suggested time.
Then you can just bake as few or as many cookies as you want. Bake a pan’s worth for unexpected guests or to take to a friend’s house. Or bake just a couple for yourself!
I’ve had this recipe for years and every time I made them, they were always a hit. My friends loved receiving them when I gave them out at Christmas, or when I brought them for potluck gatherings. I even had a friend who had to hide them from her husband because she didn’t want to share…they were THAT good!
So if you’re in the mood for a little something sweet and you need a good chocolate fix, you’re going to love these cookies. And remember, no one will complain if you share. 😉
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Cover and chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven 350 deg F (180 C).
- Scoop cookie dough onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on pan before transferring to foil sheet to cool completely.
- Cookie dough will keep in the refrigerator for a few days. Let dough come to room temperature for about 10 minutes for easier scooping.
- If not baking right away, freeze dough in a zippered freezer bag.
- Freeze individual cookie dough balls and store them in a freezer bag for baking smaller portions.
- If baking cookie dough balls from frozen, let them come to room temperature for about 10 minutes before baking so that they bake properly.
- Use dark chocolate chips, white chips, or mint chocolate chips as a flavor variation.
- If you like nuts in your cookies, stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts to the cookie dough with the chocolate chips.
This post was original published December 12, 2016 and was republished April 2020 with updated photos, writing, and recipe notes.