Tender chicken skewers are always a hit, especially when you serve them up with a super tasty Thai curry dipping sauce! These skewers are a breeze to make and perfect as an appetizer or an entree.
There is just a certain something about meat skewers.
Chunks of meat on sticks...what gets people excited when they see a platter of them? Well...
...they're fun to eat...
...and we automatically assume that they're going to be TASTY.
For these chicken skewers, you don't have to guess that they're tasty, because they simply ARE.
And what's even better is the finger-licking curry dipping sauce that gets served up with them!
Add in the fact that this dish is really easy to prepare and you are going to have a new go-to chicken favorite!
Preparing the Chicken
I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs as I think they have more flavor and they aren't as dry as chicken breasts. I chop the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and toss them together with some coconut milk, curry powder, and salt and let them marinate for at least an hour in the fridge. You could even prepare the chicken the day before and let them marinate overnight until you are ready to cook them the next day.
If you use wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 20 minutes before you thread the chicken onto them. Once the chicken skewers are ready, you can either grill them, cook them on a griddle on the stovetop, or do like me and roast them.
Cooking Tip: When I roast the chicken, I rest the ends of the skewers on the edge of the baking pan so they don't end up sitting in the chicken juices. They'll be easier and cleaner to grab onto with your fingers!
Delicious Dipping Sauce in Minutes
You are going to be amazed at how easy it is to make this delicious curry dipping sauce for your skewers. It all starts with some garlic and ginger in oil and cooking just until it's fragrant. Then comes the Thai red curry paste which you can buy in small jars, which is a whole lot easier than making it yourself. The paste goes into the pot to let the heat activate all the spices.
Next comes a mixture of coconut milk, honey, fish sauce and tapioca starch (for thickening), bring it to a boil, and VOILA! You've got amazing sauce that not only tastes delicious with the chicken skewers, but also works for dipping flatbreads like my Easy Soft Gluten-Free Flatbread!
Chicken On A Stick
These chicken skewers make a great appetizer, but they also are substantial enough to be an entree.
Turn them into a well-rounded meal on sticks by adding chunks of zucchini, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, etc. to the skewers! You could also try this recipe using chunks of beef or lamb, but make sure to adjust the cooking time so as not to overcook the meat.
Believe it or not, I have been wanting to make chicken skewers with a dipping sauce for years...and I'm talking about 15 years or so. I had a friend bring a plate of chicken skewers (with a peanut dipping sauce) to a potluck gathering at our house and they were so good...but I was so intimidated at the thought of trying to make them that I never did. I figured it was just too difficult to try and do...even though he explained how he made them.
So...several years later and I'm wondering why I had not made these sooner! They're so easy and so good...and I guess it's better late than never!
Chicken Skewers with Thai Curry Dipping Sauce
Preparing the Chicken:
- In a bowl large enough to hold the chicken, mix the 1 tablespoon coconut milk, 1 teaspoon curry powder, and 1 teaspoon salt together.
- Cut chicken thighs into small chunks and add to the bowl with the marinade. Stir well to combine.
- Store in fridge and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 20 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine ½ cup coconut milk, 2 teaspoons fish sauce, ¾ teaspoon tapioca starch/cornstarch, and ½ teaspoon honey. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add Thai red curry paste and mix with the ginger and garlic; cook for about 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk mixture and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, stir well, and remove from heat.
Cooking the Chicken:
- Preheat oven 450F/230C.
- Carefully thread chicken chunks onto skewers.
- Roast chicken for 25 minutes.
- Serve with curry dipping sauce on the side.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
- Marinate the chicken meat for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Cook the skewers on an outdoor grill, stove-top griddle, or roast them as the recipe states.
- Thread other food chunks onto the skewers with the chicken like zucchini, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, etc.
- The dipping sauce also goes great with flatbreads like naan, roti, or parathas.
- Add a teaspoon of peanut butter to the sauce if you want a peanut-y curry dipping sauce.