This chicken pumpkin curry is deliciously creamy with its use of coconut milk and is a great way to use pumpkin in a savory dish. It is savory, sweet, and has just the right amount of spice…a different way to enjoy “pumpkin spice”!
I love curry. LOVE IT.
Thankfully, so does my family. Hallelujah!
So when I make it, no one complains. In fact, at meals when we eat curry, there isn’t much dinner conversation happening because everyone is too busy inhaling their food!
Okay, maybe they’re not literally inhaling it, but there is just something about a fantastically savory curry on rice that makes you want to eat it SO fast. It’s like you’re going to miss out or something if you eat it too slowly!
And yes, this recipe is THAT good!
This chicken pumpkin curry is hearty and delicious. You’ve got tender chicken pieces, pumpkin chunks, and onions, all cooked in a coconut milk based curry that is savory, sweet, and spicy all at the same time.
Using pumpkin in this curry not only makes it a perfect seasonal dish for fall, it also lends some sweetness to the curry, so it’s not just there for looks! That being said, the pumpkin could easily be swapped out for potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, or sweet bell peppers.
Also, with this being a coconut milk-based curry, that means this is dairy-free for those of you with food allergies. It’s also naturally gluten-free…bonus!
I consider this chicken pumpkin curry a perfect fall dish, just as the temperatures are starting to cool down. That being said, there’s no reason why it has to be limited to fall! It would taste just as delicious, no matter what month it is! It makes for a fabulous tasting meal that — well…that will make you want to inhale it!
Creamy Chicken Pumpkin Curry
- 1 lb. (454g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbs coconut sugar
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp tapioca starch
- 3 tbs light olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. (454g) pumpkin chunks
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 2 tbs water
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Combine chicken broth, fish sauce, coconut sugar, and tapioca starch in a measuring cup or bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
- Combine chicken pieces with 2 tsp tapioca starch, 1 tsp sea salt, and black pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Heat a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbs light olive oil and add the chicken.
- Brown the chicken; remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbs of light olive oil to the pan and add curry powder. Quickly stir for about 10 seconds to toast the spices. Add 2 tbs water and scrape the bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add onions, garlic to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pumpkin chunks to the pan and stir.
- Whisk reserved chicken broth mixture and add to the pot with the coconut milk.
- Add chicken back to the pan and cook for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Reduce to a simmer for 1-2 minutes until sauce naturally thickens.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with toasted sliced almonds and green onion, if desired. Serve with hot steamed rice.
- Substitute or add other vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green or red bell peppers, etc.
- If you're not sure how spicy you want the curry, you can start with half the amount of curry powder. Taste test the sauce and add the remaining half, if desired.
- Makes great leftovers!
If you make this chicken pumpkin curry, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag me @dayinthekitchen!
You might also like: