Winter is, apparently, just about over and spring is right around the corner.
But parts of the world don’t seem to have gotten the memo and it’s still freezing and snowing in some places!
So I’d say most of us are still in the mood for a hot bowl of soup.
This chicken kale soup I’ve got for you is satisfying, comforting, and loaded with shredded chicken and kale leaves in a flavorful broth that totally hits the spot and will only leave you wanting more.
Sounds good, right?
My family loves this soup…which is satisfying for me on so many levels, including the fact that I’m Chinese and I grew up eating soup several days a week. The love-of-broth-soup gene has successfully been passed down! Woohoo!
We all love how comforting and tasty and simple this soup is. Every time I think there will be leftovers for another day, I am proven wrong when I am asked to refill the bowls for second helpings. And while I wish there could be leftovers for an easy meal for one or two the next day, I’m also thrilled that they enjoy it so much.
This is quite a hearty soup on its own, but you could easy make it more substantial by adding some cooked pasta. Cooked rice is also a really good addition and keeps it gluten-free!
Or pair trying pairing it with my Gluten-Free Garlic Herb Cheese Rolls or Chewy Brazilian Cheese Bread. I’ve also served make-your-own sandwiches using my Soft and Delicious Buckwheat Bread alongside this soup and it made for a really yummy and satisfying combination.
No matter how you decide to serve it up, chicken kale soup is totally going to hit the spot, whether it’s cold outside, you’re under the weather, or you just want a bowl of delicious comfort!
Hearty Chicken Kale Soup
- 2 lbs. raw chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on (see note below)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb. kale
- Remove stiff stems from kale and tear kale leaves into bite sized pieces. Rinse well under cold water and let drain. Set aside.
- Combine chicken pieces, water, and salt in a medium pot over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil.
- Skim any scum and foam from the surface and discard.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 15 minutes, continuing to remove any scum and foam until it is mostly gone.
- Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbs light olive oil.
- Add onions and fry about 1 minute. Add garlic and fry another minute.
- Add chicken pieces and skimmed liquid to the stockpot.
- Add chicken broth to the stockpot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot, leaving it slightly uncovered.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken pieces and remove skin and bones from the meat.
- Add kale to the pot and stir.
- Shred the chicken meat and return to the pot.
- Heat through and serve hot.
- I like to use bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks for the stock. You get nice tender meat from those pieces for the soup.
- For an even heartier soup, add 1 - 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice to the soup at the same time as the kale.
- No kale? Substitute it with other vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, etc.
- I like to use Imagine Organic Chicken broth for this soup, but use whatever brand you find available!
If you make this dish, share your photo on Facebook or Instagram and be sure to tag me @dayinthekitchen!
This dish would go great with:
You might also like: